The Ides of March... on Instagram??

So on Thursday, March 15, 2018, I woke up and began scrolling through my Instagram feed, as I do everyday. To my surprise (sadly, I should have known better) the first thing to pop up on my feed was this meme:
I remembered that it was the Ides of March! From class I knew that the Ides of March was the day that the Roman Senate, including Caesars best friends, Brutus, betrayed him and stabbed him to death before he could take complete control of Rome. He was stabbed 23 times, one stab per person. Supposedly he died saying "Et tu Brute", meaning "And you Brutus?". I kept scrolling and saw that were many memes commemorating the unofficial holiday. Here are some of my favorites: 
Its fun to see that even today, Latin is still relevant not only during school, but also in Pop Culture. 




No comments:

Post a Comment