Latin in ACT Prep and English Jackson

During my ACT prep, my tutor and I went over prefixes and suffixes to help me prepare for the upcoming ACT. This topic was familiar to me because, throughout my Latin career, prefixes and suffixes have appeared many times. Prefixes like “co,” “inter,” and “sub” are used in countless English words, and even if I didn’t know the actual definition of a word, I was able to figure out the general meaning because I knew that these meant “together,” “between,” and “under”. Because of Latin class, these prefixes have become like second nature, and I’m able to recognize more words because I have been studying Latin vocabulary for three years now. Doing translations in class requires knowing a lot of vocabulary, so I’m able to understand more English because I know a fair bit of Latin vocabulary. I feel better prepared for my ACT because of Latin class, and I’m glad that I’ll be able to use Latin as a stepping stone to continue preparing for my upcoming test. Although we haven’t had a vocabulary quiz in English for a while, studying Latin helped me recognize words such as “comingle,” “commiserate,” and “supercilious”. I hadn’t heard these words before, but I knew that comingle and commiserate would have something to do with putting things together or doing something together and supercilious would mean something related to “above”. The English definitions don’t necessarily have the same literal meaning as the Latin definitions, but using context clues, I was able to figure out the definitions more quickly because I’ve learned so much vocabulary in Latin.

Jackson Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment