Latin in TV Shows



Latin in TV Show: Good Doctor

           When I was watching the show, good doctor, the phrase aut libertatem aut mortem mihi da came up on the subtitles. I looked it up after the episode, and the meaning is- give me liberty or give me death. The episode was about a guy with a brain tumor who decided to go ahead with a surgery that could leave him completely paralyzed on one side. The doctor said the phrase during the surgery. I think it was relevant because this guy was in a life or death situation, and he chose life, by going through with the surgery. The patient's profession needed the use of both his arms, but he stayed positive saying that he would work hard to get motion back, and the surgery went better than expected, and he was able to start moving a little. It was interesting to see the use of a whole Latin phrase in one of my favorite shows. 

-Maddy Collins-

No comments:

Post a Comment