CD Project Red Likes Nero burning Rome

I was playing the Witcher 3 a few days ago and I was captivated by the OST, the original soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLSdl-CdOBo (link to soundtrack). And because it is so captivating I decided to look up what wild and mysterious instruments are used in it. While not used in every track, the lyre is one that came up. This reminded me of the story of Emperor Nero supposedly playing the lyre as he watched Rome burn. Such an interesting narrative I thought, I wonder if they referenced it in their game. So I watch some videos on the game and narratives they drive; most of these narratives are derived from Polish folklore, but there is one in which I don't think has much to do with Poland. There is one narrative where the King of Beggars, the underground "king" of the people who beg on the streets of Novigrad, laughs and makes his bards keep playing as his kingdom burns down. This presents a slight character change, as the King of Beggars was down to earth and a good king, but when the guards don't take the bribe to keep his kingdom safe, he changes and essentially goes insane, just as Nero except Nero was kinda already insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment