How Latin Has Helped Me

1) This series of books I enjoy reading is based in a society that takes almost all aspects of life from Roman culture. One of the best examples of this is their names. A few of these names are Cassius, Nero, Adrius, and Octavia. By knowing Roman culture from Latin class, I could tell where these names originated from. This was helpful because the names foreshadowed the actions of the characters.

2) I have used my Latin knowledge a lot in biology. For example, while we were learning about carbohydrates, I was instantly able to tell that a disaccharide was a carbohydrate made of two simple sugars. My knowledge of prefixes has helped a lot in that class.

3) Last year, I spent my Spring break in Washington D.C. It was the second time I had gone, the first being when I was in 8th grade. This time was different though, as I could actually read all the Latin inscriptions that were plastered around the capital. I also understood the fasces that were located near the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

4) I'm currently studying Italian for when I go there with Parish abroad, and my knowledge of Latin has helped me a lot. While I may not always know the exact meaning of a word, I can usually get a decent idea from simply comparing it with a similar Latin word.

5) I've used my Latin knowledge a few times while studying for the SAT. In the English sections, when it asks for the meaning of a word, it usually helps to think of a similar word in Latin. Just like when studying Italian, the influence of Latin on modern language comes in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment