Roman History

During my studies on a specific type of Roman building in the Pompeian forum, I came across a similarity between Roman and modern culture. The building I was researching was known as the "Capitolium" and was a multi-purpose building that served as a temple for their gods. Each city would have had one in their forum and it was named and modeled after the original Capitolium which was built in the forum of Rome on the Capitoline hill. I compared the Capitolium to Saint Peters Basilica because many churches are modeled after it in the same way as the Romans and their Capitolias. However, I don't think that this is a tradition carried on from the Roman empire to modern times, but rather an example of how history repeats itself. In the same way that the Roman's recognized the Capitolium's significance, the Christians in Rome recognized the significance of Saint Peters Basilica and copied it. Rather than a continuation of tradition, it was a mutual acknowledgment of importance. I think this similarity serves as an example of that despite the culture and technology of a civilization changes, the people and their minds do not.

Flaccus out,

No comments:

Post a Comment