Latin in Pharmacology


When assigned the task of finding and discussing a Latin motto, abbreviation, or phrase, I quickly realized the great position I was in. With one parent a lawyer and the other a pharmacist, I was in the perfect place to learn about Latin in modern use. For this one, I decided to go to my mom, the pharmacist. When asked about Latin in pharmacology, she quickly gave me a long list of terms and abbreviations they use everyday that have roots in Latin.

As these medical terms are all very straight forward and don't require much commentary, I mention a few. The first one is q.h.s., or quaque hora somni. In English, this terms means every day at bedtime, and is usually used to tell a patient when to take medication. Another, probably more recognizable one, is Rx. The abbreviation stands for recipere, meaning to take, and is the abbreviation for prescriptions in Pharmacology. Interestingly, The x in Rx is derived from the symbol for the Roman God Jupiter, and represents a prayer that the treatment will result in a cure.

Until this project, I had no idea that Latin was such a major part of pharmacology. It seems to play a role in almost all abbreviations, minor and major.

- Andrew Tanner

Cites:
Medical Dictionary- https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/q.h.s.
Rx Definition- http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question20021.html

No comments:

Post a Comment