Everyday Latin

Over the weekend I watched the movie Gladiator. The movie is about when Commodus takes power and strips ranks from Maximus, who just so happens to be a general and predecessor of his father, Emperor Marcus Aurelius. Maximus is then commended to fight to the death in the gladiator arenas. The movie is based on  true story from Roman history. Although Maximus is a made up character, Aurelius and and Commodus are not. This movie was just one way Roman history has shown up in my life. Gladiator fights were a big part of Roman life. Although a majority of the time, the fights didn't end in death till later in Roman history, it did happen. Mainly it was just a show for the people to watch. This was one of the earliest forms of sports in early roman history. Roman history shows itself all around me daily, I just never noticed it until I started taking Latin.

1 comment: