Latin Everyday

Yesterday I was reading a book and the main character of the book, Wade, is a highschool student who also takes Latin. While in class, Wade's teacher has him conjugate the verb "to learn" or discere. I found this really funny because we had just had a quiz over chapter 40 vocabulary and that was one of the words we studied. Before the character even said the latin I already knew what "to learn" was in latin. Another fun little latin moment I had was when I was watching Dead Poets Society  a couple days ago, and one of the scenes was a latin classroom with the students saying their declensions. It reminded me of our class with us going over and over and over all the endings. On the blackboard in this scene was also latin nouns and verbs, and even though it went by quickly, I recognized/translated the principle parts of amo, "to love". Though latin is a dead language, it still is very prevalent in our culture, particularly books and movies, which is fun because it adds a whole other layer of meaning to the scene that you are reading or watching if you have studied latin.

No comments:

Post a Comment