Rick and Morty Latin Moment

         So, a couple of days ago I was just sitting on the couch re-watching the first episode of Rick and Morty, when I hear Rick say "Listen, Jerry. I-I-I don't want to overstep my bounds or anything. It's your house. It's your world. You're a real Julius Caesar but I'll tell you something..." This, to me, was an interesting reference to the last roman consul, Julius Caesar. Caesar was seen as arrogant, strong, and cocky at some points in his life, which, in the end, led him to being stabbed by the senate of Rome. When Rick calls Jerry "a real Julius Caesar", he is trying to say that Jerry is arrogant like Caesar and isn't accepting of Rick. This was a genius way to describe Rick and Jerry's relationship by the writers of the show, and was a hard-to-find Latin reference.
--Will Baschab

1 comment: