Latin Everyday #2

I was looking at vocabulary words in a short story I was reading for english, and I had to find the definition and put it into my own sentence. When I was reading the story I came upon the word: abscond. When I looked it up the definition came up as: leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection of or arrest for an unlawful action such as theft. I looked down at word origin, and it said it came from mid 16th century latin. So I decided to read more about it and, according to dictionary.com, abscond comes from the latin word ab - away and condere -stow. Add those together and you get abscondere which means hide and that is super close to the english definition. I will now definitely remember this word in the future because I found a latin connection to help me remember!

- Lizzie Kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment