How Latin has helped me in my everyday life

How Latin has helped me in my everyday life

  1. When I looked on the Parish portal on January 30th 2020, I saw something I never realized before. I saw that my class level was represented by roman numerals. For example this class was Latin III. I know this now because we would have things numbered by Roman numerals sometimes.
  2. I realized one of the cards in clash royale was a Latin reference today(January 31st 2020). It is the royal recruits who have shields and spears that sort of represent Roman ones. I understood this reference because our Roman military project. 
  3. Today, I noticed in this game based off the Tokyo 2020 Olympics they still have all the original events from the first Olympics. They still had events such as discus throw, boxing, and equestrian. I realized this because our world language Olympics preparation.
  4. Today I remembered a game titled kid Icarus which is a reference to mythology. Icarus is from Greek mythology and the son a Daedalus who is the creator of the Labyrinth. I remembered this character because of our constant references to mythology in our class.
  5. In super smash bros. ultimate there is a spirit named Medusa. This character takes its inspiration and characteristics from the Medusa in mythology. She is from the kid Icarus series and one of the major villains. She is a major character in mythology and I learned most of my mythology knowledge in Latin class.
Latin has showed me so many cool references and helped me in different ways.It has shown me how to read Roman numerals which will reoccur throughout my life. It has made me understand many references to Roman life and culture in different media outlets. It has also made me understand many mythology references from different parts of pop culture. Latin has helped me understand things in my everyday life that I never would before and I am grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment