how latin has helped

Emma Blann

Example 1
Chemistry:
making it easier to find elements on the periodic table. like gold is au. I never would have known if I didn't know it came from the Latin word aurum which means gold.

example 2
Law and order:
I love shows like law and order and on one episode they used pro bono. pro bono is Latin for good. it is used in law to mean "denoting work is undertaken without charge, especially legal work for a client with a low income." so an attorney can represent someone pro bono.

example 3
English:
I used ie in a paper I wrote. ie comes from the Latin phrase id est witch means that is. I used it to make me sound smarter.

example 4
nancy drew:
My newest favorite show on the CW network is nancy drew. they used the phrase Post mortem. this means after death literally translated. she said it while she was sneaking into the morgue to get a DNA sample.

example 5
mom:
My mom used Vice versa in a sentence and I usually didn't notice that that was Latin. it means The position being reversed. I use this so often in order to save words.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment