Benji Purcel
Mock Trial:
In 8th grade humanities, we learned about how to do a mock trial. We reviewed the Senate and Mr. Loveland asked what its motto and what does it mean? I answered that the motto was "E Pluribus Unum" which is Latin for "One for many." This motto makes sense for the Senate as there's only one senate which serves millions of Americans.

Carpe Diem
When I was little, I used to go to preschool at Carpe Diem which means "Seize the Day." This is a perfect name for the school as in preschool, children are being taught basic needs and knowledge like walking and learning the alphabet which is relevant to "seizing the day" if someone mastered their alphabet or walked on two feet for the first time.

SMU Basketball Game
I have never been to a SMU basketball game before and on January 1st, 2020, I went to my first game. Right before the game started and when they were announcing the players, the announcer said "Veritas Liberabit Vos," which is the SMU motto-meaning "the truth shall set you free." I believe this a unique motto to SMU as its a prestigious college that'll teach you information that'll "set you free" in life.
(https://dictionary.babylon-software.com/veritas_vos_liberabit/)

World Language Olympics
A couple days ago, the entire Upper School competed in the very first Parish "World Language Olympics," in which my advisory got 2nd place in. Out of the four language classes in the Olympics, Latin has the most connection with the origin of the Olympics. The Olympics were first created to honor Zeus and they involved events such as chariot racing and pentathlon which still occurs today in forms as car racing and field events. Also, the Olympic motto is "Citius Altius Fortius" which is Latin for "Faster Higher Stronger."
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/the-olympic-games-in-ancient-rome/
https://www.olympic.org/the-olympic-motto

Impeachment
I'm interested in politics and right now, the impeachment is taking place against President Donald Trump and one of the phrases that is spoken often is "no quid pro quo." Which means "no this for that." Democrats want to believe that President Trump withdrew money from Ukraine while Trump is saying no. This phrase and its Latin terminology is very important to American's as its one of the basis of the impeachment to impeach the President of the United States of America which affects every American and other countries.

Lots of people ask me why I take Latin and "isn't Spanish more useful?" What they don't know is how helpful Latin is to other subjects. For instance, we learn a lot about participles and indirect statements in Latin which also help me with participle quizzes and review in English. Also, lots of prefixes come from Latin words which have helped me on the PSAT and ACT practice which will eventually help me on the SAT and ACT. Lastly, Latin can help me if I go to medical school or law school as lots of medical terms and legal terms come from Latin.

No comments:

Post a Comment