Five Examples of Latin In Everyday Life

One example of Latin making an appearance outside of Latin class was in eighth-grade vocabulary. A word that we were studying was "ocular" and I had a background of what its definition was due to my knowledge of the Latin word "oculus, oculi". Making this comparison was helpful to me and it aided my studying for and performance on the quiz.

Another example of Latin being present in the world was about a month ago on the popular quiz show, "Jeopardy". One of the questions on the show asked contestants on the show to translate the Latin motto "Veni, Vidi, Vici" and I was able to do so due to my knowledge of Latin words and mottoes. This was a fun use of my Latin knowledge outside of class and it would have gotten me $400.

My Latin knowledge has also come into play when looking at coins. In 7th grade, I was observing the back of a nickel and I noticed that it had a tiny "E Pluribus Unum" inscription on its back. I recognized that it was Latin and asked what it meant the next day in class. My teacher said that its translation was, "Out of many, one". This example of Latin being everywhere fascinated me and I still often look at that little inscription on coins.

Football also has Latin within it. When I was younger, I was watching football and I noticed a team called the Tennessee Titans. I had no idea what a Titan was until middle school Latin when I learned that they were figures in Greek and Roman mythology as opposed to a glorified knight or something of that nature. I still think of this when the Cowboys play the Titans.

Finally, Latin culture is present in the Olympics. Rome (along with Greece) were the first two civilizations to practice the athletic festival happening once every four years. I learned as recently as today that some of the ancient sports such as wrestling, equestrian, and tracks have stood the test of time and are still prevalent in the Olympics today. I love sports and it is crazy to think that some of my favorites were being played by people so long ago. 

I have come to appreciate Latin and all the things in the modern world that derive from it. Even though Latin is a dead language and the Roman Empire is a thing of the past, it lives on through various words, phrases, and sports. Paying attention in class has served me well and I expect it to continue doing so in the future.   

- Will Schnepf

No comments:

Post a Comment