How Latin Impact My Everyday Life

1: Last Wednesday, I was playing a new game called Temtem and decided to work on completing some of the in-game quests. I found one in a town called Deniza where I was tasked with helping a young boy and his father use flight machines they had built to descend to the beach below. The quest was called "The Denizan Icarus" and it was clearly alluding to the popular Roman myth of Icarus and Daedalus, which we learned about last year in Latin III.

2: Although everyone else also experienced this, my second choice is the upper school-wide Language Olympics that happened this Wednesday. Latin was running two stations: arm-wrestling and gladiator fights, and David, Brian, and I were in charge of the arm-wrestling station during the last rotation of the event. The Latin stations were related to combat for spectators (as the names would suggest) and I think overall the event was definitely more fun than a normal school event and more so than I was expecting it to be.

3: Early last month, I was playing a game called Destiny 2, and I was checking out some of the new weapons that were added to the game. There seemed to be a theme around the weapons being named around grammar and English or Latin cases, and the one I found first was a small gun called the Subjunctive. This was evidently a nod to the Latin case of the same name, which we first heard about in Latin II but didn't explore until Latin III and IV.

4: During Christmas Break I had a meeting with one of Parish's old music teachers, Mrs. Grey. She was helping me learn about various colleges and mentioned the one she went to and its motto. She went to University of Miami, whose motto is "Prodesse Quam Conspici" which translates to "to accomplish without being conspicuous".

5: In Latin Class last week, we were coming up with ideas for the blog post and somehow the topic of Duracell batteries came up, which was exactly what we needed. Dura comes from the Latin word of the same name, and means durable or hard. The batteries themselves are marketed as durable and long-lasting, which is why they were given the name Duracell.

Latin has positively impacted me in a multitude of ways that I never even thought it would be helpful for. One example of this would be the PSAT, in which we are tasked with finding out the meaning of words and their derivatives. To be honest, many of those words I only knew because they were from Latin words, and I was able to get the right answer because of what I've learned in class. I always recommend Latin to the 6th graders in Drumline, because it was one of the best choices I made at Parish and still continues to pay off.

Cole Hudson

No comments:

Post a Comment