Latin in English

Along with the rest of the freshman, I am reading the Odyssey in my English class. Aside from being able to read the Roman numerals faster than most people in my class, I also know lots about the gods and goddesses. Since it is a Greek book, The Greek god's names are used (Zeus, Hera, etc.). Being in Latin class has taught me who all these Gods are and what they are in charge of. I was not aware how few of the people in my grade that don't take Latin know about greek mythology. I was one of the few people in my class who knew who the gods were while we were reading the Odyssey, and my teacher had to keep stopping to explain who they are and what they do, so I am glad that I knew about them already. Taking Latin also gives me more knowledge about words and their derivatives that are used throughout the book. Knowing Roman numerals, mythology, and having a Latin vocabulary are all factors that help me while reading the Odyssey.

Abby Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment