Mythology in the Odyssey

Much like the rest of the freshman in my grade, we are reading "The Odyssey" in English. Throughout the book we see numerous historical references and many other references to mythology. Aside from understanding the Chapter numbering, as it was in Roman numerals, I was able to understand almost all of the Mythology and historical references they made in the book. For example, I recognized many of the mythological characters such as: Polyphemus, Calypso, Circe, All of the gods, The sirens, Achilles, and many of the travels of Odysseus I recognized as well. My favorite thing that I recognized was probably the interaction with Polyphemus in his cave. That was the story that I remembered the best out of all of the others. As for historical references, aside from a few other small ones, there was one major one that I remembered which was the Trojan War. I remembered many of the small facts about it which helped me understand the book more. In fact, all of the information I had previously known helped me understand the book a lot more than I would've if I hadn't known.

(Image of the Polyphemus chapter in "The Odyssey"

-Jonas Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment