Latin in Vocabulary

Throughout my Latin journey, Latin has come up a countless number of times, most of which being during English. In the English language, over 70% of words that are over two syllables come from Latin/Greek. Because of this, some Latin and English words are very close to each other in sound and definition. If I am not sure of the meaning of an English word on an English quiz or E.R.B. question, I can always use my Latin knowledge to make a safe, educated guess on the meaning of that word. An example is when the word "ocular" came up in an E.R.B. question. Using Latin knowledge of the word oculus, oculi (eye), I could infer that the word had something to do with the eye. Latin has already proved useful in other subjects and I am sure it will continue to do so. 
Image result for 70%

-Will Schnepf


No comments:

Post a Comment